According to recent industry research enrollments rates are declining, especially for undergraduate programs. In spring of 2018 enrollment rates were down by 275,000 students for US undergraduate programs. If you’re responsible for student recruitment programs, it’s time to take a hard look at your student recruitment strategy to determine where there may be room for improvement. To start ask yourself a few level-setting questions:
- Are you meeting enrollment goals?
- Are you struggling to grow enrollment?
- Do you have trouble differentiating the unique benefits of your school?
- How strong is your overall brand recognition with candidates, both inside and outside of your region?
- Are you able to attract and access new and unique candidates to your lesser known brand?
If you answered ‘yes’ to at least one of these questions, then you’re not alone. Hundreds of colleges are facing these same issues. Next ask your enrollment management and marketing departments this:
- Are you using the same rinse and repeat recruitment strategies year after year?
- Do you use the same exact strategies employed by every college and university, from small lesser known schools to large marquee brands?
Rinse and Repeat Marketing
Albert Einstein said, ‘The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.’
For many years, traditional methods of recruitment (phone, direct mail, email) have been the staple of Higher Education marketing. The very schools that you are competing for student enrollments against are utilizing the same methods. There’s just one difference: large flagship colleges can more easily meet their goals using these methods simply based on reputation, and broader brand recognition.
Large flagship colleges do not feel the same pain points that smaller colleges and niche programs face. The same student search lists that smaller colleges are purchasing are being purchased by these other schools, so naturally, they are likely to generate interest at a higher rate.
Large institutions, like large companies, can also simply outspend the competition on marketing. It’s safe to assume if you are a smaller institution you don’t have the financial resources for TV, radio, billboard, print ads and other high cost methods for broad based marketing programs.
Be Where Your Peers Are Not to Set Your Brand Apart
How about the notion of trying a fresh approach using a unique channel where you can cut through the brand noise?
For example, what if there was a new marketing channel that could deliver your message to a diverse community of potential undergraduate and graduate students? A channel where the dozens of schools you are competing against are not. A place where your college’s unique value proposition can be heard, and you can directly engage with interested candidates. A way to further leverage your investment in purchased lists by inviting students to a new channel that offers more effective engagement tools.
We’d like to introduce you to College Interactive. We provide a fresh approach to recruitment efforts using a mobile and social student recruitment app to help our partner colleges attract, engage and build successful relationships with viable candidates. Our programs target high probability prospects with one-to-one personalized communication that yields better results than traditional marketing.
A Solution for Mobile Marketing that Gets You in Front of Students
Stop relying solely on bulk list purchases of students who don’t know who you are and more importantly, are receiving information from dozens of your peers. With Ci you can:
- Attract and reach a much more diverse community of students;
- Identify candidates who are engaging with your brand and content on the app;
- Learn more about them through a robust self-contributed profile;
- Ask them questions to gauge interest, fit and more, and;
- Deeply engage with students who demonstrate interest in your school.
The Ci app is the new and improved way to reach GenZ on their preferred channel of communication, MOBILE APPS. Why? Students spend 90% of their time on apps, communicating hundreds of times a day. Shouldn’t you be there too?
Learn more about how Ci can differentiate your brand, put you front and center with a new and unique crop of candidates, and help drive enrollment goals.